The year 2022 has shown that conservative, religious and primitive movements can reappear in no-time:
- We had the whole abortion issue in the United States. Some politicians in the Netherlands are working on making abortion a human right and changing the law.
- At the same time, we had different countries discussing whether mental violence should become punishable. Some succeeded, while others are embarrassingly slow. For example, The Netherlands is still weighing the pros and cons.
- Then, the awakening of women in Iran, which needs no explanation and led to a first step of dismantling the moral police. However, this country is nowhere yet and has a long way to go when it comes to human rights.
- Meanwhile, students in Kerala, India, are cutting their hair to demonstrate against the moral police over there as well.
- All while Indonesia criminalizes premarital sex and unmarried cohabitation in new legislation, and let’s not even begin with the situation in Russia…
There is one simple message in all of this, and that is that we need to protect humanity with all that we have. Because those movements of constraints and oppression can be back in full force and can destroy our world in a blink of an eye. The problem is that we are only starting to learn that we, as the majority of the people who want humanity, prosperity, integrity and all other good that we can think of, should collaborate to work against the few who want all the bad that we are aware of and that affects us all. We can do so much more than we think and with conviction. Let’s find each other and work against those – politicians and others – who break humanity in front of our eyes.